There are many smartphone microphones available in the market. Each of them possesses different features and specifications. You have to choose the best one the provides you best quality audio. Microphones use 3.5mm lightning port to connect with smartphones, iPhones, iPad, or Android devices.
However, there are microphones that you can use without any adapter or lightning cable. These are called Lavalier or Lapel microphones. An example of a lapel microphone is Rode Smart Lav+. These pocket microphones are best for conducting interviews. Some microphones come with accessories like carrying case, adapter or stand.
Professional microphones are equipped with many additional features including the windscreen, and converter.
Recording voiceovers, vlogging, podcasting, and broadcasting is very common these days. Now if you want to make any YouTube video or if you want to convey any message to the audience. Then high-quality microphone is the basic requirement.
Among plenty of microphones available in the market, it is difficult to choose the best microphone within your budget limits. This article will be very helpful to you. It provides you with comprehensive detail of each microphone.
- Here is the list of best smartphone microphones.
- 1. Blue Raspberry microphone
- 2. Shure MV88
- 3. Samson Go Mic
- 4. Rode Smart Lav+ Lavalier Microphone for smartphones
- 5. Audio-Technica AT 2005 USB
- 6. Sara monic Smart Mixer Microphone
- 7. Olympus ME51S
- 8. Move PM 10 Lavalier microphone
- 9. Dayton Audio-iMM6
- 10. Rode i-XY microphone
- 11. Boya-By MM1 Shotgun Microphone
- 12. Shure MV5
Here is the list of best smartphone microphones.
It is the best smartphone microphone available in the market. In recent years Blue Raspberry has been the most affordable and favorite microphone for musicians and broadcasters. People love it due to its amazing features and affordability.
- It is the best microphone for home studios and podcasters.
- Its contour is composed of aluminum which makes it pretty cool.
- Its base covering contains leather patina and blue logo.
- Behind the grille, it features a 14mm electret condenser to capture audio.
- Its side panel contains two similar knobs. The left side knob is used to control the volume of headphones while the right side knob is present to control the microphone.
- This microphone follows the cardioid polar pattern. It only considers the sound recorded in front of a microphone and ignores background noise.
- The front panel of the microphone possesses an LED indicator while the backside possess headphone jack of 3.5mm in diameter.
- To support microphones, it is equipped with a built-in stand that helps to rotate the microphone by 360 degrees or in a forward and upward direction. Stand contains rubber feet.
- You can also unscrew microphone from stand can use a different stand of your choice.
- This microphone is very easy to use. Just you need to plug-in and enjoy recordings. But minor adjustments are required in case of using any recording software.
- The frequency response is 20Hz to 20kHz. It contains a high SPL of 120dB.
- It is mobile-friendly and is compatible with iOS devices, Mac, Windows 7,8, and 10.
- Its built-in stand is too short. Sometimes it makes recording difficult as it is far from your mouth. No matter how much its angle is adjusted. However, its performance level gets increased when you put the microphone closer to your mouth.
- Ultimate mobile USB microphone for podcasting, voice-over, streaming, Skype and music
- Patented Blue premium capsule circuitry for detailed, studio-quality sound
- Patent-pending Internal Acoustic Diffuser (IAD) focuses vocals while minimizing room noise
- Headphone volume control, mic level and mute for effortless live monitoring
- Plug-and-play 24-bit/48kHz resolution with PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad. iOS compatibility made for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini, iPad (4th generation), iPod touch (6th generation), iPod touch (5th generation)
2. Shure MV88
This compact microphone is suitable for IOS devices. It follows multiple patterns and can record edit, and share sounds in a variety of ways. Its recordings are really excellent even if you are recording the song, interview, or using it for public speaking.
- It is small in size and possesses a screen of approximately 2.7mm in diameter.
- It has a weight of 2.4 ounces.
- It is composed of two capsules. One is cardioid and the other is a bidirectional capsule.
- It contains metallic grille and hinge. With the help of hinges, you can rotate the microphone in any direction.
- To connect a microphone to your mobile devices you need to remove cover cases of your mobiles.
- It has a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz. It can operate at both 16-bit or 24-bit.
- To adjust the stereo width, and sampling rates Shure Plus Motive app is required. This app is very easy to use and set up.
- iOS LIGHTNING CONNECTION: Apple MFi certified and compatible with all iOS devices with a Lightning connector
- POCKET-FRIENDLY: Capture powerful audio recordings on the move without the need for large and heavy audio equipment
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE: Flexibility to tilt, flip and rotate the microphone up to 90° to get stereo clarity, whatever your sound source
- TWO FREE APPS: ShurePlus MOTIV Audio & ShurePlus MOTIV Video allow you to customize the performance and set-up of the microphone for professional audio and video capture. Download directly from App Store
- NO WIND NOISE: Includes a black foam windscreen (part number AMV88-WS); please note that the windscreen comes attached and can be removed if desired
- BUILT TO LAST: All-metal construction and quality Shure engineering that has stood the test of touring and live stages across the world over the past 90 years
- PROTECTION IN TRANSIT: High-quality zip carry case included for protection when traveling
- IN THE BOX: 2-Year Warranty, MV88 microphone, foam windshield, carry case, headphone monitor adaptor cable
3. Samson Go Mic
- It has a weight of 104g that makes it portable.
- Its base is composed of zinc and it is equipped with a shock-absorbent pad that makes it resistant to disturbing vibration.
- The base can act as a sheath for the microphone.
- Two capsules of 10mm in diameter are present behind the windscreen. It follows both cardioid and omnidirectional pattern. Users can choose the pattern according to his own choice.
- It has a clip stand which contains rubber feet. You can clip your microphone on the top screen of the laptop. Or you can also place it flat on a desktop.
- It has a frequency range of 20Hz-18kHz which is not bad.
- It works without digital signal processing so provides pure signals. You can later compress it or adjust it by recording software.
- It features an LED indicator that turns into red color when there is too much load.
- It contains two inputs. One is for headphone plug while the other is for USB plug.
- It is very easy to use. You don’t need to make a lot of adjustments before using this. Just plug-in and play.
- It can record audio from 16-bit, 44.1kHz. It is suitable for making conference calls and for content creators.
- Portable USB microphone that delivers broadcast quality sound directly to your computer
- Compact, fold-up design clips directly to your laptop monitor, sits on the desk, or can affixed to a microphone stand
- Perfect for podcasting, live streaming, remote learning, working from home, voice-overs, video and Skype calls
- Two selectable polar patterns: Cardioid pattern captures sound in front of the microphone while rejecting sound from the side and back. Omni pattern evenly picks up sound 360° around the microphone
- Built-in 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo headphone output provides zero-latency monitoring from the microphone as well as a mix from the computer
- Plug and play with Mac and Windows computers
4. Rode Smart Lav+ Lavalier Microphone for smartphones
It is the best smartphone microphone as it delivers great quality work at a reasonable price. Rode is a trustable and reliable company in the market due to its great performance. Each microphone has its own amazing features that make it distinct from others.
- It is known as a collar, cloth, or lapel mic. This type of microphone is commonly used for TV shows and films.
- It follows omnidirectional patterns and it is considered best for single person use.
- Its small size makes it easy to hide. You can also put it in your pockets and can carry it anywhere.
- It is very easy to use. Just plug-in and enjoy it. No special apps are required.
- To plug into smartphones, computers, and tablets it contains a jack of 3.5mm.
- It is equipped with a pop filter to remove unnecessary wind sounds.
- It can be clipped to clothes or collars. As it is omnidirectional so there is no issue of recording sound from a specific direction. But the issue is that it cannot ignore background noise. It lacks proximity effects. But it will provide you clear and bright sound when you record something.
- ENSURE YOU BUY GENIUNE RØDE PRODUCTS! Products from sellers which say ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ under the price are NOT authorized resellers, and may not be selling genuine product.
- Buy only from Amazon.com (labelled ‘shipped and sold by Amazon.com’)
- Broadcast quality, professional-grade Lavalier Mic with TRRS Jack
- High-quality omni-directional condenser capsule; discrete 4.5mm miniature microphone
- Kevlar reinforced cable ensures that you never stretch or snap your microphone under normal usage conditions
5. Audio-Technica AT 2005 USB
- It is a dynamic microphone and it follows a cardioid polar pattern.
- It has a frequency response of 50Hz to 15kHz.
- It has a weight of 0.59 pounds and it is available in black color.
- It has a metal body which makes it durable and sturdy.
- It requires 5V USB to fulfill its power requirements.
- In the box, you will find a microphone, mic stand, tripod desk stand, USB and XLR cables.
- At the bottom of the microphone, it contains a control dial to adjust headphone volume.
- When used as a USB mic, it is found compatible with USB 1.0 and 2.0, Mac, and Windows XP. When used as XLR mic it is compatible with many audio interfaces.
- It possesses a sampling rate of 44.1kHz and 48kHz.
- Handheld dynamic microphone with USB digital output and XLR analog output
- USB output connects to your computer for digital recording, while the XLR output connects with your sound system's conventional microphone input for use in live performance
- Smooth, extended frequency response ideally suited for podcasting, home studio recording, field recording, voiceover, and on-stage use
- Built-in headphone jack allows you to directly monitor from your microphone
- Adjust headphone volume with easy-to-use controls on the bottom of the microphone
6. Sara monic Smart Mixer Microphone
This compact and lightweight microphone is best for audio recording. It is a two-channel audio mixer. It is suitable to use with IOS and Android devices. This on-camera microphone is very versatile. It is composed of two parts. One is Sara monic NV5 mic and the other is Mic Mix XLR adapter.
- It is small in size. When the microphone is attached to phones. It does not weigh too much. Its weight is 740g. It is ideal for professional audio recording.
- It is portable and provides high-quality audio.
- It is equipped with three active inputs. You can use all these inputs at the same time. One is XLR input while the other two are stereo input of 3.5mm in diameter.
- It requires 48V phantom power to operate.
- It mixes the sounds from acoustic guitars, pianos, iPhone, or iPad.
- It has a warranty of one year.
- It has a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz.
- It has mono mode and stereo mode. Mono is used when y plug-in one microphone. When two instruments or two microphones are plugged-in then stereo more is useful.
- It also features volume control knob and LCD level meter monitoring.
- It also helps you to shoot videos from a smartphone with a clean and clear sound.
- In the box, you will find Smart Mixer, 3.5mm XLR cable, 3.5mm cable for Android, and 3.5mm cable for IOS, two condenser microphones, device holder, Aluminum hand grip.
- Professional Recording Stereo Microphone Rig Produces Studio Quality Audio for your Smartphone
- Features: Two 3.5mm Stereo Mic Inputs, One mini-XLR input, Headphone Monitoring Jack, Phantom Power Switch and Accessory Shoe (To Mount Video Lights and Other Accessories)
- LCD Level Meter Monitoring
- Volume Control Knob
- Includes: SmartMixer, Two Condenser Microphones, Smartphone Holder, Video Stabilizing Grip, Mini-XLR to Standard-XLR Cable, 3.5mm output cable for iOS, 3.5mm output cable for Android, User Guide, 1 Year Warranty
7. Olympus ME51S
This microphone is common in use and loved by the people due to its amazing and bunch of features. If you want any best quality stereo microphone at a reasonable price then this microphone is best for you. It is the most trustable microphone at any budget range available in the market.
- It is very small in size. So, it can be used anywhere.
- It is very easy to use. If you want to use it as an onboard microphone then simply plug it into a camera or recording device. Then enjoy using it.
- It has a frequency response of 100Hz to 15kHz.
- It is a unidirectional stereo condenser microphone.
- It gets power from connected sources.
- It features an LCD indicator to indicate recording levels.
- Its jack socket possesses shock absorber qualities that makes it resistant to any kind of disturbances and shocks.
- If you use it as a Lav microphone then plug the jack into the extension cable and then plug the extension cable into a recording device.
- When talking about its performance, it provides excellent quality audio even its price is low.
- It features a detachable cable. This microphone can be used as an on-camera microphone. Its removable cable makes it versatile and it is used in many situations.
- LCD display during recording
- Fantastic quality stereo recording
- Voice Recorders
- Small plug in microphone
- Includes a 3.3 foot extension cable with tiepin clip
- Can be plugged into the earphone/microphone/remote control socket
8. Move PM 10 Lavalier microphone
This best smartphone microphone provides superior quality audio and crystal-clear voice. It is compatible with a wide range of devices including iPads, iPods, iPhone, Windows, and Android Smartphones.
- It is considered best for interviews, podcasting, and voice-overs.
- It is light in weight that makes it portable.
- It is an electret condenser microphone that follows an omnidirectional polar pattern.
- It has a frequency response of 35Hz to 18kHz.
- It has 10 years of warranty.
- It is an inexpensive and omnidirectional microphone.
- CRYSTAL CLEAR AUDIO: The Movo lapel lav mic for iphone (lightning dongle not included) upgrades your built-in Smartphone or iPhone mic
- PLUG AND PLAY: No batteries required. Simply plug the included 3.5 MM TRRS compatible jack into your smart phone and hear drastically improved audio (newer iPhones require lightning dongle)
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: We’ve got your back. Our products are designed to ease your technical woes, not add to them. Our friendly US-Based support is here to help
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Compact travel case is easy to take on-the-go for quick on-location or active vacation videos. An essential content creator accessory!
- VALUE KIT EXTRAS: Includes 4ft cord, 2x foam windscreens, 2x metal clips, and a carrying travel bag. The metal clip is solid and clamps on securely
9. Dayton Audio-iMM6
This recording microphone provides professional-quality audio. It is suitable for a wide range of devices including iPhone, iPad, iPod. It is calibrated by hands by using laboratory standards and provides a high-level of precision the same as expensive microphones.
- It follows the omnidirectional polar pattern and possesses an electret condenser capsule of 6mm.
- It has a weight of 7.6g which is very light.
- You can also monitor the recorded signal by headphone which is built-in the device.
- It has a rugged construction that makes it sturdy and durable. It is composed of high-quality components prepared with great care. A carrying case with inserted foam is also provided with the microphone.
- It has a frequency response of 18Hz to 20,000Hz.
- A calibrated file that works with a much audio analysis app is available for i-MM6.
- If you want to use Dayton as a calibrated microphone then you need to purchase an app.
- Precision condenser microphone for critical measurement
- For use with Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch via 3.5mm TRRS headset jack
- Compatible with Android and Windows Phone devices with TRRS jack
- Headphone/Line Out pass-through jack for test signals or listening
- Kickstand feature elevates and angles device and microphone capsule
10. Rode i-XY microphone
It provides superior quality stereo audio. It is a stereo microphone. You can connect it to your computers via a lightning port. It is high is the price. But if we look into its amazing features then the price will not bother us. It provides crystal-clear audio more than your imagination.
- It has a weight of 1.4 ounces.
- It uses a fixed XY stereo pattern for audio making. Two microphones of the same specifications and features overlap each other and produce a stereo image. This type of stereo
- It is provided with three clamps. These clamps help to keep the microphone stable and fixed. You can also remove these clamps. A button topper on the clamp is provided for this purpose and you can remove it easily without separating the microphone from the lightning port.
- It is compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iOS devices. It clips to the iPhone via the lightning port. So, you need to remove the case of your phone.
- It requires apps for recording. Like Rode’s own app
- In the box, you will find the microphone, protective case, and windshield, mount, or grip.
- Provides up to 24-bit/96k recording
- Matched pair of 1/2 inch cardioid condenser capsules
- Fixed in a perfect 90 degree alignment gives the Rode iXY mic immersive and true-to-life stereo reco
- Comes with foam windshield for outdoor recording as well as a reinforced zip case
- Comes with foam windshield for outdoor recording as well as a reinforced zip case
11. Boya-By MM1 Shotgun Microphone
- It has a rugged metal construction that makes it durable and sturdy.
- It follows a cardioid polar pattern.
- It has a frequency response of 18Hz to 35kHz.
- It has a maximum SPL of 76dB.
- It has compact size and light in weight. Its lighter weight makes it portable and it is easy to carry anywhere. Its weight is 86g.
- It does not require any battery. So, you don’t need to worry about its battery.
- It has an anti-shock mount that helps to reduce background noise and unwanted via vibrate on.
- In the box, you will find a microphone, shock mount, carrying case, a user guide,e, warranty card, furry windshield, 3.5mm TRS audio cable, and 3.5mm TRRS audio cable.
- Universal Compatiblity - Works with DSLR Cameras, Camcorders, Audio Recorders, iPhone and Android Smartphones, Tablets, & Laptops
- Durable Aluminum Construction, Battery Free Design
- Integrated shock-mount minimizes handling noise
- Includes Microphone, Furry "Deadcat" Windscreen, 3.5mm TRS Output Cable (For DSLR Cameras, Camcorders, Recorders), 3.5mm TRRS Output Cable (For Smartphones, Tablets, and Mac)
12. Shure MV5
Shure MV5 is the best affordable smartphone microphone. It delivers high-quality audio. By using a free companion the app, you can easily adjust EQ and DSP settings. It is equipped with all the modern technologies. It has amazing features that make it appealing to users.
- For computers, you can use it as a traditional USB mic. While it can also be used for iOS devices. It required a lightning cable to connect with iOS devices.
- It follows a cardioid polar pattern.
- A free app is also available that makes the recording and editing easy.
- It contains three digital signal processing modes for recording. One is a flat free DSP mode that works without any compression or EQ.
- Its front face is composed of the plastic silver grille. And connections are present on the backside. It is available in black and grey colors.
- It is composed of a metal stand that is lightweight. Microphone positioning can be adjusted according to speaker’s mouth.
- The back panel comprises two connections. One is for USB and the other is for lightning cable. 3.5mm headphone jack and mode selectors are also present on the back panel. It includes volume dial, mute button, and LED indicator.
- It has a frequency range of 20Hz to 20kHz.
- It needs a minimum of 64MB RAM to work.
- It is easy to use and easily detected by the software.
- You can make adjustments into recorded audio according to your choice
- Best USB mic
- Flexible DSP modes.
- Provides quality crystal clear sound.
- Used for both computers and iOS devices
- No significant cons
- Custom-tuned microphone capsule provides superior audio
- iOS and USB connectivity offers instant setup at home or on the go - no need for additional adapters or connection kits (Apple MFi certified)
- Record, edit, and share recordings from the free ShurePlus MOTIV iOS app
- Three onboard DSP preset modes quickly dial in the right sound, or use the free ShurePlus MOTIV mobile app for enhanced recording and editing control over EQ, compression and more
- Compatible with popular iOS audio and video apps
- Angle-adjustable desktop stand and integrated ¼” thread mount compatible with any standard camera tripod provide flexibility
- Iconic, low-profile design measures only 2.5 inches / 7 cm tall (5.5 inches / 14 cm on included stand)
- Zero-latency headphone output with mute and volume control
- Please see second image on left for details about the Shure MOTIV x Adobe Premiere Rush promotion and how to redeem your 2-month subscription
- Compatible with iOS, Android*, Mac and PC
After reviewing different microphones for smartphones I concluded that Blue Raspberry is, best microphone for smartphones. It is the most affordable and favorite microphone of musicians, audio engineers, and voice over artists. Its amazing features aa re impeccable.
However, if someone wants a microphone at the cheap price then Rode Smart Lav+ is best.
In this article, all the best smartphone microphones have been n explained thoroughly. All the features, pros, and cons of the specific product are mentioned. Now you can choose the best microphone for recordings in a smartphone according to your budget and requirements.