Basically, there are three types of microphones. Condenser, dynamic, and a shotgun microphone.
Condenser microphones are widely used by professionals for voice-overs. It provides crystal clear and natural sound. But its downside is that it requires Phantom power to operate. These microphones are very sensitive to noise. So, they are not suitable for noisy environments.
Dynamic microphones are less sensitive as compared to condenser microphones. They provide warm and vivid sounds. Its major advantage is that phantom power is not required to operate it.
A shotgun microphone is used in film set-ups and broadcasting. It is very directional and you cannot change your angle while recordings.
What makes the microphone the best microphone for voice-overs?
There are a number of specifications and features by which you can say that this microphone is best. However, some common features which must be included in a good microphone include
- Easy to plug-in and play
- It can be used instantly.
- Provides professional sound without any distraction of background noise.
- Should feature zero-latency monitoring
- Pattern by which microphone records sound should also be taken into consideration. Normally for voice-overs, the cardioid polar pattern is best.
- Here is the list of Best Microphones For Voice Over.
Here is the list of Best Microphones For Voice Over.
MOURIV MV-GMC201 2.4G Wireless Lavalier Microphone System
This microphone is best for voiceover as it is omnidirectional and can pick the voice from any direction. It provides crystal clear and high-quality audio. Its receiver contains 3.5mm audio plug that provides wide compatibility with Android, IOS, iPad, iPhone, and Sony, Nikon which are DSLR cameras. It has a frequency band of 2.4GHz that provides sound with distortion of less than 0.1%. Both transmitter and receiver have a battery life of approximately three hours.
- This wireless microphone provides the best solution for both audio recording and video shooting. Its great compatibility with DSLR cameras, phone cameras and camcorder make it amazing to use.
- It can record audio wirelessly and provides signal transfer within the range of 15m.
- It is omnidirectional and light in weight.
- It has a compact design and setup is very easy to install.
- The battery is needed to supply power.
- It is somewhat expensive.
- For use in phones which contains OMTP standard audio Jacks install an app named as Cinema FV5. Then go to settings, after opening speaker icon select an audio source and then select extra mic.
- Provides crystal clear and professional sound.
- Easy to install
- Slightly expensive
MXL mic 770
This microphone is ideal for podcasting and voice acting. It is very common among youtubers, podcasters and voice over artists as it provides very amazing results. It records natural voice and artist love it due to its incredible and fantastic performance. It is also best for newbies who requires quality microphone to start their career.
- It has a weight of 1 pounds and it is available in black color. Its nice weight and its black color design make it pretty cool. Chassis consists of metal and it is durable.
- It provides solid and balanced bass with crystal clear and crisp sound.
- It is versatile and can be used for multipurpose.
- It is best for vocals, strings, pianos and many more.
- It features high-end FET preamp and it reduces unwanted noise in the background.
- It comes at a cheap price. At the cheap rate it provides high-quality work and best for both experts and freshers.
- It has rugged storage case which provides protection and easy transport.
- Its frequency range is 30Hz-20kHz. Its standard XLR connection requires 48v phantom power.
- It comes with low frequency roll-off and 10db pad both are very useful additions at this price. Low frequency roll-off removes unwanted and boomy sound in the background. While 10db pad is helpful while recording from loud instruments including acoustic guitars.
- It is Cardioid, multifunctional and cheap condenser microphone. Its microphone is fixed so you have to adjust yourself accordingly.
- Nice color and design
- Durable and versatile
- Fixed so it requires adjustment
Rode NT1 A
This microphone features a cardioid polar pattern. It means that it captures the noise from the front like the shape of the heart. This microphone provides high-quality recordings and it can be connected to a computer via USB cable and XLR. It is released in 2003.
If you are worried about the traffic noise or annoying people outside your home and cannot make your recordings free from any of the noise then don’t worry your problem is solved now. This microphone possesses excellent features that reduce background and ambient noise from your surroundings. It contains remarkable filters to provide crystal clear and crisp sounds. You don’t need to edit your voice.
- It is cardioid polar pattern microphone. This feature is useful to neglect background sounds.
- It is best for content creators and voice over artists. It also contains a DVD. DVD is very useful as it gives you complete guidelines about how to record your audio effectively.
- Its weight is 326g.
- It is the most commonly used condenser microphone suitable for both home studios and experts.
- It requires 24-48v phantom power.
- XLR cable is required to connect it to a voice recorder.
- In the box, it includes a microphone, 6m long cable, carrying case, shock mount. With the help of shock mount, you same mount it easily.
- It has a sleek design and it is made up of stainless steel which makes it sturdy and durable.
- This microphone is highly sensitive to even low noise sounds. It has a greater range of recording loud sounds I.e. 137dbSPL.
- It provides flat frequency response that it records sound without bumps or dips.
- Sleek design and durable
- Best for home studio, podcasters and beginners
- It is not light in weight.
- It is not portable.
- Phantom power is required
- Requires good pop filters
- Some sibilance issues due to indecent pop filters.
Audio-Technica AT 2020 USB Plus
If you need a perfect set up for home-made voice-overs then it is best to use tight is the microphone is very easy to use and you don’t need any additional equipment to operate it. Audio-Technica 2020 is released a few years ago and it provides greater results than your expectations. It can be connected to a computer or MAC via cable.
- It is user-friendly and can be used for singing, podcasting, and voice-overs.
- While recording you can also regulate your voice.
- It has a reasonable price
- It has a simple but pleasant design. This microphone body is composed of metal that makes it pretty cool. Its weight is about 0.85 pounds.
- In the box, you will receive a microphone, tripod stand, zip case, and ring mount. This ring mount is used for attaching the microphone to a tripod stand. Tripod sand is durable and sturdy.
- It does not possess any crazy flashing LED lights.
- It comprises of steel mesh and two thumbnails or controllers. One is for diversifying the volume of headphones and the other is for adjust sound and background melody.
- It works in cardioid polar pattern and it records your voice evenly and clearly even if you speak slowly and calmly.
- It does not require any extra programs or drivers just connect a microphone to your headphones and start recording.
- Compatible with both Windows and MAC operating systems.
- Provides clear and warm sound at a reasonable price.
- Useful for both streamers and podcasters
- It requires initial adjustments as it follows a cardioid polar pattern.
Electro-voice RE 20
This microphone provides professional quality sound and can pick any kind of lyrics. Sound engineers, Voice artists, podcasters, broadcasters love to use this microphone because of its exceptional features. It is best microphone for voice-over.
- It is equipped with internal pop filters that is the reason voiceover artists like it so much.
- This cardioid microphone contains Variable-D technology to lessen proximity effects.
- It is dynamic microphone and it is less sensitive as compared to condenser microphone as a result it is helpful in preventing pop-ups that we often face during voice recordings.
- Its dynamic filters provide natural vocals.
- To reduce sound vibrations, it contains an internal shock mount.
- It is ideal for acoustic guitar recording and radio stations.
- It is a versatile and durable microphone. These days it is considered as a standard microphone.
- Versatile and durable
- Variable-D technology
- Dynamic filters to remove background noise
- Standard microphone
- Adjustment of size and weight.
- Overuse can damage classic capsules to produce annoying sounds.
Samson Meteor Mic
This condenser cardioid microphone is ideal for both experts and professionals. If you want to record something for yourself or if you want to talk via Skype then you can use this microphone.
- It has a weight of 263 g and dimensions of 80x40x49mm.
- Its thick plates of chromed steel make it an elegant piece of technology.
- It is portable and contains embedded legs. You can use it easily by placing it in front of your laptop. By using legs, you can hold the microphone at different angles. You can also adjust the angle upwards or away from you.
- At the end of each leg black and is embedded to provide friction against slipping.
- It is very easy to use and you need no extra rearrangements before using it.
- It fits easily into pocket or bag.
- It provides high-quality recordings with a flat frequency response.
- It is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. To connect the microphone to your computer you just need a USB cable and then audio input will be automatically recognized.
- You can also directly plug your headphones into microphone. But the recording volume level cannot be controlled by this microphone. You can use software for this purpose.
- It needs USB power connections.
- The box contains microphone, USB cable, and carrying case so you can take it anywhere.
- This microphone is the most desirable product nowadays as it works with iPads. iPads consumes very high power so most of the USB microphones are not compatible with iPads.
- Portable and easy to use.
- Provides warm, vivid and clear sound.
- No need of drivers
- Ideal for music recording, podcasting, Skype streaming and gaming.
- It is mono-microphone. Two or more persons cannot use it simultaneously. It is ideal for both home studio and travelling purposes.
- Not very high sampling rate.
Blue Yeti USB microphone
It is the best USB microphone for podcasters and voiceover artists. It is available in different colors like red, black, white and platinum. It features multipattern choice. You can select pattern according to your choice and situations. This microphone is provided with two buttons. One is for pattern selection and the other is mute button. You can stop or mute audio recording when any distractions appear.
- It does not require anything extra for usage. You can even use it on your desktop or stand.
- It contains volume knob, mute button and switch pattern to switch between four different modes.
- To make connection with your device USB input is needed.
- It is compatible with Windows, Mac and all other operating systems.
- Fantastic sound quality
- Easy to use
- Availability of multiple patterns
- It does not contain multi-head set-up.
Hyper X Quad Cast
It is one of the best microphones for voice-over and podcasting. This microphone is released on 25 March 2019. Its specialty is that it contains four polar patterns including cardioid, stereo, omnidirectional and bidirectional. It provides high-quality audio sound within a reasonable price. You can use any pattern according to the choice and conditions. It is very easy to switch between these patterns.
- Its red and black colors make it an eye-catching and appealing microphone.
- In the box, you will find a microphone, shock mount, USB cable, start guide, warranty card, and an adapter.
- HyperX Quad Cast is eight inches long microphone. It is thin and light in weight. Its diameter is 50mm bad it weighs about 254g. It is made up of metal that makes it durable as sturdy.
- On the top, there is a touch sensitive mute button and, on the bottom, the microphone volume control is there.
- This unique condenser USB microphone provides high-quality audio recordings.
- It is very simple and very easy to use. You can control its functions by simple control buttons available on the device.
- There is a dial in the bottom to increase or decrease sensitivity.
- It contains a mute touchpad on the top. Tap on it to mute.
- This microphone is equipped with lightning that lightens when you speak louder.
- It does not contain a pop filter as it contains foam-like material that lessons distracting noise.
- It is compatible with Mac, PC, and other operating systems.
- Shock band possesses flexible band design that is designed to absorb even vibrations the produced from the desk. It is more suitable as compared to other basic metal stands.
- Behind the bright red foam, three diaphragm microphone capsules are hidden that helps you to switch between four different patterns.
- Stereo is for left to right recording. If you want to record something from all directions then the omnidirectional mode is best. For broadcasters, the cardioid mode is preferred as it records the voice in the form of heart and minimizes the noise from the surroundings. Bidirectional mode is perfect for interviews as it records the frequency on and rear voice.
- The frequency response range is from 20Hz-20kHz. This range is safe for humans.
- No software installation is required. Just plug in the microphone and windows will automatically recognize it.
- Excellent sound quality
- Provides warmth and clarity to voice
- Four different patterns to use
- Outstanding microphone at a reasonable price.
- Requires no set setup software to use.
- It includes gain dial which is not accurately marked.
FiFine metal condenser Recording microphone
This microphone is best for voice overs as it comes with a cardioid polar pattern. It is very easy to use as it comes with a plug and play strategy.
- Its metal construction makes it sturdy and durable.
- It provides high-quality, clear, and crisp sound with no background noise.
- It has a weight of 14.1 ounces and it is available in black color.
- It is ideal for YouTubers, podcasters, and voice recordings.
- It has a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz. It is provided with a tripod desk stand for its easy and secure use.
- It also contains volume knob by which you can easily control volume during voice recordings, gaming, and skype meetings.
- You do not need to speak louder as it records the voice in your normal tone.
- Its power source is corded electric. It does not require 48v phantom power supply.
- Ideal for podcasters, gamers, and YouTubers.
- Lightweight and has a compact size.
- Easy to use.
- No software required.
- Very comfortable for ears.
- Very thin mesh grille
- connectivity problems
This microphone provides high-quality sound at a cheap price. It is most suitable for voiceover artists and for narration purposes. Even if you speak fade and dim this microphone will provide you impressive and clear sound.
- It is best for YouTubers, podcasters, gamers, and for Skype meetings.
- Its weight is 1.7 pounds and it is made up of stainless steel material so it is sturdy and durable.
- Its power source is corded electric,
- t comprises a 16mm custom condenser capsule to provide a clear voice.
- It follows cardioid polar patterns and is involved in multitasking. Even if you want to build a home studio at a cheap price then it is the best choice for you.
- It has a low-cut switch ends that filters the low end by removing unnecessary and annoying sound in the background.
- It is very easy to use. Just plug into your PC and play as it requires no drivers.
- It has a warranty of 24 months.
- In the box, you will get a microphone, 1610 USB, warranty, card, and desktop stand.
- Provides high-quality vocals at a low cost.
- Easy to setup.
- Low end switches to eliminate background noise.
- Compatibility issues
Razer Seiren X
This digital condenser microphone possesses amazing features that make it ideal for voice-overs. It is equipped with a shock mount to lessen vibrations and reduces background noise. All in all, it is best for those who require the best quality microphone at an inexpensive rate.
- It is the no one bestselling microphone for gaming purposes.
- It has a sleek design and its weight is 12.8ounces. It has a compact weight that makes it easily portable.
- It is available in black color that makes it appealing.
- It follows a cardioid polar pattern. It receives sound in front of the microphone in the form of the heart shape and neglects other voices that make it pretty cool.
- It is equipped with background noise reduction filters that help you to achieve professional audio.
- It is connected via USB cable.
- It features a shock mount for the provision of smooth video.
- On the front side, it features two buttons. One is for turn on the microphone and the other is for mute purpose.
- It contains shock absorber to absorb shock and vibrations emerging from the desk.
- Ideal for live streaming gaming videos
- Portable and very easy to setup.
- Cheap price
- Compact and sleek design
- Have some mechanics keyboard strokes
- Sound quality is sometimes disturbing.
After reviewing different microphones for voice-over I concluded that Blue Yeti USB microphone is suitable to use and it provides high-quality sound at a reasonable price. I think that it is the best microphone for the voice-over. However, you can choose a microphone according to your choice, interest, and budget.