Choosing the best microphone for singing is a difficult task as there are a variety of microphones available in the market. All of them have different features and prices. But you should choose a microphone according to your voice and requirements. Before buying a microphone for singing first of all you should judge your favorite recording artists uses which type of microphone. This will help you a lot in choosing the right microphone. While buying a microphone you should consider the following things.
It should provide high-quality, clear, and vivid sound without any distraction or background noise.
It should be affordable.
According to your needs, you should decide that you require a dynamic microphone or condenser microphone. A dynamic microphone is best for stage singers as it picks up a cardioid polar pattern. While condenser microphone is best for speeches and acoustic instruments.
If you want to start your career as a singer, voice-over artist, podcaster, and public speaker then you should make sure that your voice is clear and loud as it should be. Like all other instruments available in the market microphones play an important role in building your musical career. It is important to choose the right microphone. This article provides you a comprehensive guide about different microphones.
- Here is the list of best microphones for singing.
Here is the list of best microphones for singing.[azonpress_tables id=”1″]
Shure SM 7B
Considering its amazing features, it is considered as one of the best microphones for singing. It is a cardioid dynamic microphone that is perfect for voice-overs and singers. A world-famous singer Michael Jackson also uses this microphone. It provides a flat and smooth frequency response that is suitable for all audio apps. SM7B is the updated model with added bracket design and improved stability.
- It is best for home studios, and artists.
- This versatile microphone is also best for broadcasting, singing, and voice-overs.
- It provides crystal-clear and natural sounds.
- It contains excellent cartridge protection to provide greater durability and stability.
- It is a dynamic microphone that has a frequency response from 50-20,000Hz.
- It shields from all kind of electromagnetic hum. Its optimized shield provides us zero chances of electromagnetic hum.
- It also contains internal shock mount that minimizes distraction and mechanical noise from the background.
- It needs standard XLR for connection.
- Its close-proximity effect is very amazing and this feature makes it ideal microphone for studio setups and for singing.
- It features high-quality and fine pop filter. It makes your voice more warm and vivid. You don’t need to buy any other equipment.
- To use Shure SM7B you need microphone stand, XLR cable to plug in.
- It possesses a high-quality A7WS windscreen that makes it suitable for close-talking.
AKG Pro Audio C214
This outstanding microphone provides great quality audio. It is useful to record different varieties and types or instruments during voice overs. This company is renowned for its excellence performance since many years. By the passage of time AKG features has also been upgraded to technical features. It picks up cardioid pattern and it is ideal for singing.
- It is large diaphragm condenser microphone suitable for studio recordings.
- One-inch capsule of large diaphragm is present to provide high-quality and incredible sound of 143db.
- It provides flat frequency response of 60Hz to 1kHz. Full low-end frequency response is achieved by TLM-103.
- It is similar in function to C414 but AKG C214 is preferred for acoustic guitars.
- Its body is composed of metal that makes it which and scratch-resistant. To protect capsule, it contains mesh grille.
- It requires 12 to 52V phantom power to operate.
- It contains capsule suspension to reduce resonance and improve accuracy of sounds.
- It possesses an integrated roll filters to eliminate distracting background noise. It also helps to reduce proximity effects.
- When recording the sound from loud sources like guitar, drum kits you can also increase the range of microphone up to 20db by switching to the pre-attenuation pad. It can perform well with pianos, acoustic guitars, violin and drums.
Neumann TLM 103 review
Neumann is reliable and trustworthy company for centuries. Studio owners and voice over professionals love its amazing features.
- It provides superior quality sound as it follows cardioid polar pattern. It is equipped with pressure gradient transducer that makes it responsive to pressure gradient from the front and back side of microphone.
- It is able to capture even minor details that is negotiable by other microphones.
- Its weight is 450g and has a frequency range of 20Hz to 20k Hz. It has a length of 13.2cm and diameter of 6cm. It is light in weight as compared to other microphones.
- It is available in black and nickel color. You can select the color according to your choice.
- Its self-noise is very low i.e. only 7db.
- When talking about its performance it provides bright and exceptional nice sound.
Audio-Technica AT 2035
If you want to get microphone with reasonable budget that also ensures high-quality sound then this microphone is best for you. This microphone has been upgraded and some extra features Including flatter response, shock mount has been added. Considering the customer reviews about this microphone people love its performance and price. Even some user claims that its performance is much better as compared to expensive microphones.
- It is one of the best large diaphragm condenser microphones available at cheaper rate.
- Its matte black finish makes it eye-catching and appealing. Back of the microphone is equipped with pad and low-cut switches. This metal construction makes it sturdy and durable.
- Its weight is 403g, length is 170mm and diameter is 52mm.
- In the box, you will find microphone along with shock mount, vinyl storage pouch and microphone adapter
- It has a flat frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz. 48V phantom power is required.
- It has high SPL rating.
- It features integrated plastic shock mount and 10db pad.
- It shows dynamic performance with man containing thin voice. It provides remarkable smooth and warn bass sound. When used with female vocalist with heavy voice it does not seems very good.
- It is versatile and can be used for the variety of instruments. It performs well with pianos, rock guitars, acoustic instruments and drums.
- It follows cardioid polar pattern. It only picks up the sound recorded at the front of microphone and ignores background noise.
Shure Super 55 Deluxe Dynamic Microphone
It is one of the best microphones for singing available at affordable prices. Its improved features and specifications make it an ideal choice for singers. It is good for home studios, stage recordings, and podcasting. It has given the name of Elvismic regarding its advantages and features.
- It follows a super cardioid polar pattern.
- In spite of having a conventional cone shape, it possesses a sleek and modern design.
- It provides super clear voice with added warmth.
- Its weight is 1.45pounds and sensitive at 1000 Hz.
- It is a dynamic microphone and frequency ranges from 60 to 17,000 Hz.
- Its chrome-plated casing makes it durable and sturdy. This rugged casing makes it resistant to extreme conditions.
- Vibrant blue color is added behind the grille that makes it eye-catching.
- It provides a tailored frequency response.
- It includes an integrated swivel mount that allows tilting forward and backward.
- The box also contains a shock mount to minimize distracting noise from the background.
Aston Spirit Microphones
It is versatile microphone. It has switchable polar patterns that makes it perfect for singing. It is manufactured and tested in the UK. It is shipped in recyclable cardboard boxes and stainless-steel box rather than conventional boxes that makes it resistant from shock.
- It has switchable polar patterns including cardioid, omnidirectional and figure of eight patterns. You can select the pattern of your choice by toggle switch button.
- Its cylindrical body is made up of stainless steel that makes it durable and graceful.
- Its base casting includes balanced XLR and US stand mount. Thread adapter is also provided along with it that eliminates the need of shock mount. You can use both European and US based threaded stands and there is no need of shock mount.
- It requires 48V phantom power to operate.
- It has a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz.
- In cardioid and omnidirectional mode presence hump is about 10kHz while in figure-of eight pattern it is about 6kHz.
- Roll-off switch is about 80Hz.
- It has low cut filter in that makes the voice natural and professional. It is resistant to popping having exceptional noise handling ability.
Rode NT1 microphone
This condenser microphone is available at affordable price and it is considered best microphone for singing. Rode NT1 model is similar to Rode NT1 A. But the fact is that Rode NT1 is different model containing upgraded features. One thing common in between two these is the mesh grille. This microphone is designed to provide sounds with warmth and clarity. It is ideal for studio recordings. It is rare microphone with high SPL that enables us to record loud sounds without distortion.
- This microphone follows cardioid polar pattern as it neglects the surrounding sounds and can only pick up the sound recorded in front of it.
- It is manufactured and designed in Australia containing the warranty of ten years.
- It has a self-noise level of 4.5dBA and it is considered as most silent microphone in the world because it contains high-graded equipment in it.
- It contains suspended transducer to minimize external noise and vibrations.
- In the box you will find NTK microphone, mic stand and rugged case for protection of microphone.
- Cardioid polar pattern suitable for single instrument recording
- Provides clear sounds
- Reduces background distraction and noise
- Contains internal shock mount
- Silent microphone
- 10 years warranty
- Ideal to use with acoustic guitars, drums and pianos.
Can sound a bit harsh in the high-end
Lewitt LCT 640 TS
It is the best microphone for singing with a combination of traditional and advanced features. TS is the twin system that enables to microphone go work in both dual mode and multipattern mode. It means that you can access the front and back capsule signals easily by separate outputs. This helps a lot in switching between polar patterns and by changing polarity of output signals you can shift easily.
- It is well designed and all-rounder microphone ideal for studio recordings.
- It is condenser microphones and pressure gradient transducer is its operating principle.
- Its weight is 425g which is little bit heavier. Its die-cast zinc body and black finish makes it durable and sturdy.
- It provides a well-balanced, natural, and clear sound with its dual-mode.
- It is considered as the best stereo and pattern changing microphone.
- When microphone is powered on white light is illuminated. When microphone is overloaded it turns red. And when we enable dual output mode then it turns green.
- 48V phantom power is required to operate it.
- Its five polar patterns included
- Super cardioid
- Wide cardioid
- You can conveniently change the polar patterns according to your choice by using the plug-in called POLARIZER.
- In the box, you will find a microphone, suspension cradle, microphone pouch, XLR cable, and magnetic pip shield.
- It is composed of Mylar diaphragm of three micron.
- Two layers of perforated plastic along with rectangular frame makes pop shield unusual.
- It highlights your source natural character.
- Well designed and looks classy.
- Contains pop shield to filter sound.
- Five patterns to switch
- Flexible and versatile.
- Provides full-balanced and crisp sound
- Reasonable price
- No significant cons are present
This microphone is best to record loud sound sources including acoustic guitars and drums. It works well with other loud vocals like scream, shout and rap.
- This dynamics microphone follows cardioid pattern.
- It has a large diaphragm of approximately one inch in diameter. The large diameter is helpful to record loud sound sources as they have a larger surface area as compared to small diaphragms.
- Its rugged metal construction makes it durable. It’s one big advantage is that you can carry it anywhere as it is suitable for traveling.
- It is resistant to dust and humidity.
- It possesses a flat microphone clip. But it can break easily that makes it less advantageous.
- It is good for vocalists and singers.
- It features five positions bass roll-off switch.
- It has a frequency response from 30-70,000Hz.
- It does not require any power source to operate.
- Most Reliable microphone nowadays
- Works well with loud sounds like loud male voice, rap, metal and shout etc.
- Very easy to use
- Durable and lightweight
- Five position bass roll off switch
- Dust and humidity resistant
- No need to filter are recorded sound.
- No Phantom power is required
- Unsuitable for some vocals
- Microphone clip is not standard rather than it is fragile and hard to use.
- When used in studios, it can cause audio problems due to off-axis leakage.
Shure SM58 microphone
This microphone is best for vocalists and singers. This dynamic microphone is considered better than many condenser microphones. It provides you excellent quality sounds according to your desires. It has a wide range of applications. It can be used as vocal as well as an instrumental microphone. Professionals have been using this microphone for many years and got very amazing results.
- This microphone picks up cardioid polar patterns. It picks up the sound from a specific point while ignores background noise and distractions.
- Its steel mesh body makes it durable and sturdy.
- It has a steel grille that is removable and makes it easy to clean and replace. It has a rugged metal chassis.
- It provides a clear voice with added warmth. It is the best choice for live performers.
- It has a built-in pneumatic shock mount to minimize the noise in the surroundings.
- To reduce pop noise, it is equipped with spherical filters which filters your voice automatically and removes any pop noise.
- It has a frequency response of 50-15,000 Hz.
- Its weight is 298g.
- It does not require any power source to operate.
- XLR cable is needed to connect to your computer.
- Recording software such as Audacity is required when using this microphone for YouTube recordings.
- When compared with SM7B, SM58 shows wider range of applications.
- It is durable and reliable.
- Does not requires phantom power.
- Reasonable price
- Contains internal shock mount
- Can tolerate loud sound without distortion that makes it suitable for live performances.
- Not suitable for studio recordings as it requires external pop filters
This dynamic microphone is best for singing, radio station recordings and broadcasting. If you are looking for the best quality microphone a affordable price then Electro-Voice RE20 is best choice for you.
- It possesses simple but eye-catching design which is distinct from other microphones.
- Its die-cast steel chassis with champagne finish makes it pretty good.
- It contains internal shock mount, large diaphragm capsule and moving capsule.
- To minimize the distracting sound, it contains Variable-D technology.
- It follows cardioid polar pattern.
- It contains internal pop filters and bass-roll off switch.
- It has frequency response of 45Hz to 18kHz that makes it best for use in studio recordings.
- Its design, features and delivery of clear sound makes it reliable microphone.
- It performs well with other instruments like drums, and acoustic guitars.
- Its pop filters and Variable-D technology helps to filter voice with the rejection of background noise.
- Excellent sound quality
- Affordable price
- Durable and reliable
- Ideal for studio settings and professional broadcasters.
- No significant cons
IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
This condenser microphone is best for home studio settings. It is versatile and provides best performance in every situation.
- It picks up cardioid polar pattern.
- It can work well on both computer and tablet devices.
- It is composed of durable metal case and one inch condenser cardioid capsule.
- It is available in both silver and black colour.
- It has a compact size that makes it easy to use.
- It is portable that’s why suitable for you tubers, singers and podcasters.
- It works well with PC, iPhone, iPad, Android and IOS devices.
- It can tolerate SPL up to 133db so it is suitable for loud sound sources.
- Cardioid polar, pattern
- Compact size
After doing a brief review of microphones for singing. I concluded that Shure SM7B is the best microphone for singing. Shure SM7B is somewhat expensive so it is ideal for professional singers. Its amazing features are remarkable. However, you can use the best microphone for you according to your needs and budget.
In this article, different microphones from various categories are mentioned. Each product is described along with its features, pros and cons. Now you might have an idea that what product to go for.